Sunday 5 June 2011

How do I change my legal last name in Minnesota?

I%26#039;ve been married for 5 years, and I have now decided to take my husbands last name. How do I change my last name? I%26#039;m also from Sweden and have a green card. Will that complicate my name-change? Can it cause problems with the INS?





Please help! The more detailed you describe the steps I need to take the better!


THANKS!|||You will need to gather all the documentation to support your name change; marriage certificate, INS documentation, etc.





Then, you notify everyone with whom you have official documentation (state issued ID, driver%26#039;s license, social security card, etc.) of your new last name. Be sure to notify your mortgage company (if any), credit cards, etc.





There won%26#039;t be any problems with the INS. When you change your last name, just notify the INS of your name change.





Hope this helps.|||You need to get a lawyer since changing names can take a lot of legality not only in Minnesota but in all other countries.