Sunday 5 June 2011

How do I officially change my last name?

I%26#039;m looking into changing my last name to disconnect myself from my family. All there is on the internet is packets to but to take to court to change your name. Can you tell me how I change my last name legally and officially? Also, I%26#039;m 18 and I have about 42 credits in Community Collage. How would I get my name changed on the records at school, my GED, my credits, my license, etc.? Also, by changing my last name, can I still get certain clearances with in government jobs? Thank you.|||Changing your last name depends on which state you live in. I live in Colorado and just changed my last name. I had to buy a packet from the court house and finger print cards. Get printed, mail off the cards to the FBI and CBI and wait for the background check. Take that to the court house and get a piece of paper to take to the newspaper so they could print it three times, then take that back to the court house and then it was legal. Somewhere in there a judge had to sign it. Once I had the name change paperwork I went to the DMV and showed it to them and they issued me a new DL, then to the Social Security office and they will issue me a new card. Then went my college and now they have my last name changed. As long as you have the legal paperwork every one will change their records for you. Start writing down a list of companies, people, and places where you need to tell them about the change. That part is very simple. Go to your local court house and they can tell you the process for your state to make it all legal. If you tell the SS office and your work, your SS retirement won%26#039;t be affected. Well, except I doubt we will get the benefits since money is dwindling. In any case, you can still get the clearances you need with government jobs. Just always keep that legal name change paper with you to show especially the next year or so and on any job applications you fill out, notify them of previous names.|||Go down to a courthouse.|||You do have to go to court...use the online packets and follow the directions...not sure what more advice you are looking for. As for the schooling, just take your completed paperwork to school and show them your name change. They will take care of the rest.|||Just cause you got a different last name doesn%26#039;t mean you have completely no ties with your family. It%26#039;s still your family, whether you love them or not.|||You don%26#039;t need to go to court to change your name. All you need to do is go down to your local Social Security Administration, and get a form to get a new Social Security card in the name you want. When you get your new card, you can use it to change all your other documents.|||I agree, go to the courthouse. Once your name is legally changed you%26#039;ll have to submit change of name forms to the places you listed (they usually have those forms).





Government jobs do background checks. You%26#039;ll prob have to provide your %26#039;alias%26#039; to them for the check.|||Go to the county court website for your county. (use Google) If you live in a big city they may have the change of name forms on the web for you to fill out.





There will be a charge.





If the county courthouse doesn%26#039;t have a website, you%26#039;re going to have to go down there to get the paperwork.





Name changes happen all the time (women get married), it won%26#039;t have an effect on clearance for gvmnt jobs. Just be sure to disclose any prior names if the information is asked for.