Friday 16 September 2011

Getting married in Virginia; how does this name change thing work?

Some of the books make it seem that whatever name you sign on the marriage license, that's your new name. Well, I'd like to change my first name when I get married, in addition to my last name (and move my current surname to my middle name). Do I just sign my new name and it's done; go the dmv %26amp; social security office with the marriage license, easy peasy, all good as new? Or do I still have to fill out the name change forms and everything?Getting married in Virginia; how does this name change thing work?You can change from Miss Smith to Mrs Jones when you get married. If you want to change from Annie to Susan, you have to jump through some different hoops.
Getting married in Virginia; how does this name change thing work?
No it does not work that way. Only your surname changes. And be sure to inform Social Security of the name change