Friday 16 September 2011

How do you get a name change for a minor when the other parent has disapeared?

I havent heared hair nor hid of my ex since my son was 6 months old and he is almost seven years old now. I have tried to contact the exs family and they havent seen or heard from him in years either. My son and husband both want to share their names so is there a legal way to change my sons name without the biological father ( he has no custody rights according to my divorce decree and has never paid child support)How do you get a name change for a minor when the other parent has disapeared?My sister went through the same thing a few years back. She had to get a lawyer and I don't remember all of the specifics, but I know she had to run it in the newspaper for 2 weeks. That way you can say that you tried to put the info out there and its not your fault he doesn't read the paper or have a known address! Good luck!
How do you get a name change for a minor when the other parent has disapeared?
I there i changed my little girls name with the legal deed service for just 10pounds, they were very helpful. There is a video that explains it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK2mY2TaUOQ. The website is www.thelegaldeedpollservice.or鈥?

Report Abuse


How do you get a name change for a minor when the other parent has disapeared?
I changed my name here http://www.deed-poll.net It was so qucik and easy.

Report Abuse


Best thing to do is contact a lawyer. We (my wife and I) almost had to do this when I adopted her 2 kids from her previous marriage. I don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with running a public notice in the newspaper in all the places you think he may be. After a number of weeks (don't remember), if he doesn't respond, you can do it without his consent.



We got lucky and didn't have to go that route. He filed to have his child support payments reduced, so we had him sign the papers to terminate his rights at that hearing.